View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:55 (Ref:3221610)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I dont have an issue with the engines being quieter. I find it crazy that nothing is done to make F1 engines a little quieter, not massively so obviously, but they are far too loud!

A turbo is a natural silencer to be honest and most cars that run turbo engines can run far less material to silence the car and meet noise limits. In drag racing for instance, they literally mount the turbo's outlet on the end of the turbine with maybe a few inches of pipe, it still doesnt sound as loud as a V8!!

What I am interested in more are things like turbo chatter and wastegate noise, I do hope that is allowed to be free as that was one of the coolest bits of the turbo era and sports cars, you ended up being abe to recognise a car by the chatter or the overrun!

I hope they do this properly, but I fear with the same ECU and stuff they will all sound the same!

I don't think they will sound like 80's cars, they had horrendous lag, huge boost, very big turbo's and very little in the way of electronics and turbo tech.

And in their heyday they used very special fuels that allowed the boost to be so high, with the mileage limits on modern F1 ngines that will simply not be possible.

But having said that I do hope you are allowed to run more boost in qually, and then take the risk, Prost never used qually engines as Renault and Honda did, and he did alright!

And I also wonder if there will be any provision for anti lag technology? This is very noisy in rally cars! But turbo's might have developed to the point now where in F1 at least it might not be necessary. Personally I would prefer it to be banned, and watch guys like Alonso, Button and Hamilton struggle with lag and dolops of power high up the rev range!

If managed properly by the FIA (God help us) this could be brilliant!

Last edited by chunder; 20 Mar 2013 at 10:03.