View Single Post
Old 20 Nov 2016, 16:29 (Ref:3689756)   #14
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Croft is up the road for me and I enjoy it as a circuit but with two caveats-

-more overtaking happens at Tower than anywhere else ; originally one could spectate from the infield and it was brilliant. Then RACSMA stopped it on safety grounds- sort of understandable but , like Hawthorn ,it could have been managed with some judiciously placed catch fencing. Then viewing at outfield allowed for regulars - informally . That got stopped too.

- hairpin sees a lot of overtaking but despite its very low speed the original design didn't allow for spectating . Missed opportunity .

Both Tower and Hairpin can be seen from central infield viewing area , but from a distance. Compare and contrast to Cadwell, where viewing is close for 75% of track or even Oulton . Frustrating - I really don't think circuit managers/designers ever grasp how important proximity to overtaking points is to the public.