View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2018, 20:18 (Ref:3857359)   #46
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's not ideal, but there's definitely a need to balance turbo and NA engines. Another thing is the EOT is class wide and not individual cars ala DPi. Both turbo and NA non-hybrids were given another break for Fuji. Also it seems the ByKolles lost a turbo and was down over 100hp in the race. They were multiple laps down on Rebellion even, but still a respectable race for them.
Is there though? Zytek seems to work just 'fine' on any configuration.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/...-cars/3159042/
This article is from prior Silverstone but the line "this is designed to equalise the stint length of the cars" really bugs me, I don't get why every single category needs to have dead equal fuel stints. It's not like anyone's forcing teams to use specific engine here, they can get whatever they wish from literally any supplier

The idea that it's not chassis-specific balancing a la DPi is comforting, however if we loose say Dragonspeed for next year and the Orecas are only chassis carrying NA engines still, then it will effectively be chassis specific. Just as it is effectively Toyota that's being measured and not "hybrid" because of the lack of other competitors. And the reason it becomes more BoP than Eot is that there aren't really any pre-determined parameters and timetables for possibly changing performance values, but instead they are done in ad hoc fashion

Anyway as I said it's still superior to what else is there, after all it is the only sportscar class out there still allowing actual technology to determine performance, however the signs of change are there similarly to say LMGTE at the turn of the last decade. I think the new hypercar regulations definitely head towards that too, unfortunately