View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2021, 16:57 (Ref:4028630)   #30
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddha View Post
You may read this, registered motor sport vehicles, private or commercial, it applies.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apply-fo...net-will-cover
This is correct for rest of the world. It may apply to EU for single seaters, but cars with a V5C are a different animal. I contacted MSUK today. They werent very helpful. They appear to have not sort guidance from HMRC, they have been advised by the Chamber of Commerce. From what I understand it is the Chamber of Commerce that they are doing their scheme through......who I assume see selling more Carnet as advantageous. When I mentioned the tripple list solution and sent them the link they failed to even comment on it.

If my car has a V5C then I can "take" it through the port without a Carnet if I am driving. My question is simple, why would this import duty position change if I were to be towing it instead?

Our race cars are a small part. The same must apply to rally cars. But it would also apply to Smart cars on Motorhomes and moped/scooters on motorhomes that have nothing to do with racing.

I e-called HMRC and had a discussion with them. They pointed me to CARS Europe. I said that I wanted a definitive decision from HMRC, CARS are a commercial organisation with a vested interest. The kind lady sent me a form which I have sent off.

I went through Switzerland to Monza with a single seater a few years ago (car has a V5C). I enquired beofre I went and was assured it was OK. I did the red lane and stopped etc at the border. The guards were fine once they saw the V5C

I dont think yesterdays communication from MSUK was sufficiently well researched and it didnt really appreciate the position of the average club guy who manages to squeeze a trip to Spa once a year