Thread: Porsche in GT
View Single Post
Old 28 May 2019, 00:41 (Ref:3906426)   #82
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
^ From the description of the video:

Quote:
What about the sound, since I've already seen many discussions on the web whether it is turbocharged or not? I'm convinced it's still N/A, because, even if from some angles you can hear similar notes to the Ford GT ones, none turbo spooling or whistling are noticeable and with a such short exhaust it would have been obvious.

For me the different "old style" sound comes from the exhaust layout: in fact, if you remember, when the mid-engined RSR was unveiled in 2017 it had a lovely and raw 996 RSR tone, due to the two rear but separated pipes. Then for the 2017 24h Le Mans pre-tests, Porsche changed the configuration to the one we're used to (two very closed and centered pipes) giving her the great high pitched noise. Same happened with the Porsche Cayman GT4 (981) and the current 718 Cayman GT4: same engine, different exhaust system.