View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2020, 09:18 (Ref:3967144)   #68
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
That was never there intention if you follow the upgrade path they outlined at the beginning. They have a huge advantage over F1 and that is they can run a race meeting in a city with just about no noise from the competing cars and therefore no complaints from those who do not like motor racing and yes those people do actually exist. The format and speed of an F1 race does not fill every motor sport enthusiast with joy either which may surprise some people. My son competed for many years and never during that time did he even bother looking at an F1 race and wouldn't have a clue who was who in it. Formula E has a place in motor sport, some like it and some don't.

This is a point that is extremely relevant.Even WEC mandates noise levels and if I am honest I have to say that seeing an LMP1 at high speed in comparative silence is very impressive.I have never been in line with those who say more noise=better and I have never doubted that if you asked any engineer in the business if they would rather have an extra 5 horsepower or an extra 5 decibels,the choice would be power.Maybe if silencing to WEC levels was introduced it would be easier to organise races in city centres.As things stand I can foresee an increase of objections to the level of resources devoted to making two cars go round a circuit a couple of dozen times a year.Not only from the likes of Greta Thunberg but the current global paralysis is going to weaken the cashflow of sponsors and even the spending cap may not go far enough to prepare the series for the new economic realities.

I have seen Ross Brawn's views about the ever more ostentatious hospitality centres and the fleet of trucks that each of them requires.Can anybody defend the current situation?

One change I would like to see would be the prohibition of engine warmers.We have tyre warmers for a while longer,but they will be banned fairly soon.So why don't we encourage the use of engines that can actually be started from cold?It might encourage the development of engines for the real world with a higher level of efficiency and it would reduce the freight bill too.

Perhaps most controversially,why don't we eliminate the requirement for pit stops?Allow them by all means but leave the freedom for teams to try a non-stop race if they feel that it could pay off.Come to that,why not allow teams to mix and match the tyres?It used to happen in the Goodyear era that now and then 3 C'c and a B on one rear would be a good combination.