View Single Post
Old 13 Dec 2018, 11:18 (Ref:3869879)   #3090
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Not history at all Andy. If we were to tell the EU that we were walking away and keeping the divorce money. What would they do? So far we don't have any binding agreement because it needed to be ratified in Parliament. If we aren't subject to the ECJ, which we wouldn't be, then all it can do is stamp its feet.

Just think how happy M. Macron would be when Airbus closes its Toulouse factory and the 68000 jobs, for lack of Welsh wings? And I realise there's a counter argument but since we would be keeping our money we could, and indeed should take care of those workers in Wales, whether they are from other countries or the UK.

So yes WTO rules is where we go then the EU comes to us asking if we'd like to continue exporting to them. Put simply, that's negotiation.

What has happened is this. We went cap in hand and said we want to keep your business but we don't want to accept your rules. Hence to paraphrase Monty Python "they farted in our general direction."
Peter, I think that without further ado you should should offer your services to HMG as Brexit Negotiator. You should be paid a small fortune enabling you to carry on racing your Rover (and anything else that you fancy) and afterwards be Knighted and offered the job of Prime Minister (I'd vote for you).
This is the most reassuring piece of common (market -ho ho) sense Ive read about the whole debacle since it all started!