Old 22 Jan 2021, 13:59 (Ref:4030660)   #462
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I just had one of the oddest probable spam phone calls I can remember.A local number appeared and for once I decided to answer and maybe have some fun with it.A robotic voice (like old school robot voices, somewhat akin to a Dalek sound) was delivering a message that "seemed" to have started before the call connected. Something about someone placing an order an "your" account for an iPad. If not "your" order hit a number to be connected to some department to discuss the matter.No mention of a company name BUT of course one might assume that the early start to the message means one had missed it. It repeated the part about responding by hitting a button and that was that. The local (Nottingham) number, when searched, offers no information although the same number lists in New Delhi. That might be coincidence.I wonder if such a scam would also work via an answerphone message?. I suppose the scam nature of the call depends on whether they really do have "ownership" of the number used.Has anyone else experienced this sort of automated cold call already?

I had exactly the same call yesterday morning but didn't look at the caller i.d. to check the number. I reponded with two words ending in 'off'.