Thread: ELMS Race ELMS round 3: Red Bull Ring
View Single Post
Old 21 Jul 2014, 17:15 (Ref:3436321)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I find just the reverse is true — that ELMS is compelling while the WEC is simply tedious to watch. The Pro-Am classes in ELMS are simply better (more cars) than those in the WEC and there’s more at stake as well — ELMS P2 and GTE-AM teams are effectively auditioning for invites to Le Mans, and the consequences for not getting an invite could include a team being forced to shut down.
Yeah but the invites have sort of lost their worth because you can just buy yourself Le Mans garagw slot by entering WEC next year, zero effort... also as Risi showed this year, just because you receive automatic invite doesn't mean you actually get one (okay Risi's Krohn Racing camourflage thingie was different was but the point still stands)

And again as for me, it's just wrong to have ALL categories as pro-am. Yes I can understand the (soon to be resurrected) junior proto class and GTs, even what was GT2, but when you have your premiere class limited to proam-costcap-privateers as well it just kinda makes it have more club feel to it...

I mean just think of it, six years ago:

Le Mans - 4 classes without restrictions in drivers, budget, factory/privateer (technically not even P2)
Le Mans Series - 4 classes without restrictions in drivers, budget, factory/privateer (technically not even P2)
American Le Mans Series - 4 classes without restrictions in drivers, budget, factory/privateer

And now:

Le Mans / FIA WEC - out of 4 classes 2 are proam (of which one is cost capped and privateer-only and the another one exists to artificially split the class in two for 'amateurs') + separate sub class for P1 privateers only
Le Mans Series - all 3 classes are proam (of which one is cost-capped) and all -in truth- privateer only
United Sportscar Championship - out of 4 classes 2 are proam (of which one (or two in truth) is privateer only)) + some cars in another category are cost-capped
Asian Le Mans Series - all 3 classes are proam (of which one (or two?) is cost-capped)) and all -in truth- privateer only

Next year we'll (re-)get another proam category for ELMS, but hopefully - by the look of things - LMP2 goes back to unlimited in terms of drivers in WEC/LM

Last edited by Deleted; 21 Jul 2014 at 17:22.