View Single Post
Old 14 Aug 2017, 16:23 (Ref:3759368)   #2528
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
John, as you must have notice by yourself even a Twingo is not an easy job in the parking lots they built in the center of Lille. And if you go for the Euralille one, you've better note the place because its huge! Isn't Talisman proposed with a AWS?
In France when they introduced the R14, the advertising company named it "la poire". And in street French "être une poire" means something like being daft enough to buy one. Not really the recipe for a success…
On the subject of car names, I presume you do know your Capri was originally going to be called, I think, Caprona, until someone discovered that is Sicilian for goat dung? Or so the story goes.

I haven't worked up the courage to drive in Lille - it's a nightmare, it's got more bus lanes than London!

It's very easy to get there by train from St Pol, or at least it was. The last time I went, just before Christmas, the first half of the journey as far as Bethune was by bus, due to engineering works on the railway. That is still the situation & some people here are saying the rail service will never return, which would be a pity. The bus ride was very nice, but only once as it takes a long time, visiting all the little rural stations on the route. I did gain a new-found respect for bus drivers though, as he had to manoeuvre in some very tight places.