View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3759498)   #2545
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Grant, were the Renaults you were given some sort of numerical indication of your rise up through the company?

Sadly no the 12 was just an earlier job.

The 14 a little more permanent then taking something from the used car trade-in pool that still had road tax at the time. It was relatively newly released and I suppose there were some deals for getting them registered and on the road.

The 18 was also a recent release and was a branch demonstrator for a sunroof the company imported from the USA and which I ended up selling and training fitters across the central part of the England and Wales.

By taking the back seats out of the 18 I could get 10 sunroof kits in so once a client had been persuaded to sign up with an initial order for 10 I would load the car, make the delivery and show the fitter(s) how the job was done.

As I recall the next car up in the range at the time was an R20 and there was no way that anyone below director or Branch General Manager level was going to get one of those.

It was strange how the Renault naming convention back then left people assuming that the name automatically related to status. It sort of did in terms of the vehicle range at the time but not really fully and certainly not by job role until one got to the 20 and 30.

When that job came to a sudden end the next presented me with a high mileage, well used 1500 (iirc) Maxi for a year or so. That put things into perspective.