View Single Post
Old 2 Oct 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3853981)   #49
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You sound pretty tribalistic to me Chunder. It's just that your team packed up in the early 90s.

I have been following rallycross for almost 30 years and also saw it in the group B days. They were great days, there's no denying that. But those days are gone. And they weren't exactly without their flaws. Reliability was atrocious, racing wasnt always as close as you remember it (we have a bunch of Brands events on VHS and it was often quite spread out across the classes). You'll deny this of course, due to your tribalism no doubt, but it's true.

On the money front, it's really a simple question of personal choice. Mr not buying a ticket to Speedmachine 2018 will do nothing to prevent its return in 2019. My constant criticism of the prices on any Facebook page I could find will do little to reduce the 2019 costs. I hope it does of course, but I'm not naive enough to think that it will.

So then it becomes a simple choice. Do I pay the money to watch something I enjoy, or do i spend it on something else? The choice is determined by factors such as the entry list and the circuit. I'm not sure silverstone is worth it if they put 100 supercars on. But if they made the track faster and more overtaking spots (like Lydden) then I'd consider it.

You fail to grasp that others have different opinions to you, different priorities, perhaps different ideals as to value for money. The comparison to football or any other sport is not irrelevant just because there are no teams (which isn't true of course, as there are teams in rallycross, they just aren't as established as, say, F1 and of course never will be). The comparison is there because it is a pastime that punters spend money on. For some it's F1, BTCC, golf, football, rugby, cricket. Living in London I am used to paying over the odds for all sporting events.

For me, a rallycross event with ERX is good value at 50 quid. Adjusting for inflation, I doubt that's much more than it cost in the 80s. Maybe 10 quid more. For me, that's a price worth paying to watch some of the most exciting motor racing around.

I doubt that the sport misses your attendance.