View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2017, 12:23 (Ref:3780177)   #23
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
A great insight into the character of the Williams family overall.

I can do you a very small anecdote. At the end of the 1999 BTCC season, Williams withdrew from the BTCC with the F1 teams move to BMW power, so the Renault touring car team was to be sold off including the cars and all the kit,trucks, hosptality unit, etc. We were amongst several parties interested in acquiring it, I recall driving back from the office one day and my phone ringing in the car to find 'Hello, this is Frank Williams' on the other end of the line. He was calling me to confirm arrangements for us to visit the factory to view all the cars and kit and letting me know who would be showing us round, etc. This struck me at the time as selling off BTCC assets was small beer compared to the F1 operation, but of course the realisation was, that this was HIS team and HIS money so of course he was interested in who was potentially buying and that they had a good experience. That was my small insight into SFW and how he was very much right across his whole business, even down to that relatively small matter.