View Single Post
Old 18 Nov 2010, 18:50 (Ref:2792775)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Todt: "new tracks must create passing"

There is a news story over on autosport where Todt says that, well, quite simply, "tracks must create passing".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88389

They mention the Abu Dhabi track, which I think for a new venue offers perhaps the worst track layout of the season.

Since I had a few minutes to spare, I made a couple of edits to the Yas Marina track to A, actually improve the layout so it flows, creates passing and made sure to ensure there is adequate run off.

Bringing the top hairpin closer to the main straight means that they can bypass that stupid chicane and also means they will have an approach speed of about 180mph down to what I guess is about 60-70mph. Bigger braking zone, better chance of passing into the corner, give the hairpin an ambiguous apex, adding a bit of camber gives it a variety of lines, and a variety of accelleration points. This is the problem with a conventional hairpin, the guy behind is always later getting on the throttle, making this corner faster and a different profile lets drivers have more things to try.

Second, bypass the chicane to produce a long flat out section.

Third, produced another hairpin which should invite passing, have the corner cambered, *think the Dunlop Kehre* at Nurburgring GP. Fast 200mph+ approach into a 80-90mph open hairpin.