View Single Post
Old 1 Jan 2004, 18:47 (Ref:825239)   #8
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I'm really impressed with the forthcoming season's grid. It looks like the Proton lineup will contain two established international stars (JA: cough, cough) replacing a geriatric (JA: Leslie, a front-runner and race-winner for over a decade)) adn a relative nobody (Bennett, a proven race-winner). Gary Ayles has been a good talent scout in the past - Wallace (JA: a midfielder at best in Clios) looked pretty useful in the Astra, and Butler-Henderson (JA: so-so in Clios) should be as well.

Apex's penultimate paragraph seemed strange to me. Both situations he suggests involve 18 well-prepared cars driven by talented drivers, so what's wrong with having a few backmarkers out tehre. They provide action further back and the odd surprise, as well as a bit of grass-roots enthusiasm, so what's the harm?
I suggest you read my final paragraph again. What I was saying here is that I don't mind rich amateurs who have a reasonable level of ability. As I pointed out, they throw up a surprise result sometimes. What I don't want to see in BTCC are people way out of their depth. It makes me cringe more than I do when I watch The Office and is embarrassing for the championship. AT BTCC level, I'd much prefer to watch a smaller, high quality grid than a larger grid propped up by a few duffers at the back. They do nothing for its image.