Thread: FIA GT GT4 - The future...?
View Single Post
Old 9 Jul 2010, 14:33 (Ref:2724057)   #2
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
GT4's problem is IMHO the permanent rules creep: When they started the class there were plans for BMW Z4, Audi TT and even Opel GT projects and the Mustangs were quite competitive. But in the last few years they have not only left the Mustang a good deal behind, even the original "no additional aero-parts" rule has been weakened to a point where it isn't really worth a lot anymore (cf. the current Maserati) and cars have become a good deal more expensive than initially planned.

If I was a rich gentleman driver, and had the choice between running a car in GT4 or in an open national series like Dutch Supercar or Britcar, I'd go for the latter, as I'd probably get a lot more bhp for my €...

I really like the concept of GT4 - and especially its American cousin, the Continental Tire Challenge - but truth is that it shouldn't be a GT-series, but be regarded as one for touring cars since classical touring car tracks like Zolder are where these cars really shine, while they get spread out and boring at places like Spa or the Nürburgring.

What they should have done with GT4 is to copy Copy Conti Challenge and make it into a European Endurance Championship for Production cars or something like that - kinda like a successor to the old 1960s-80s ETCC.

Last edited by Speed-King; 9 Jul 2010 at 14:39.