Thread: WEC Ginetta LMP1
View Single Post
Old 14 Apr 2017, 05:16 (Ref:3726252)   #12
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
This quote has me intrigued

Does that include spares and the like? I wonder if that's "technical support"?
No, besides engineering assistance it's for having the parts on site so you can buy them when you need them instead of shipping 4 races worth of spares around the world on your own like you would have to otherwise. Remember in WEC you get things like a car crashing at Fuji and the team not having the parts on hand to repair it for Bahrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ospi View Post
The engine package deal is interesting, that's an awful lot of money for what's actually quite a standard engine package. Does it include the rebuild costs which would have to occur at least once during the season? Does it include a spare engine which will be a necessity? What about the gearbox & bellhousing? Still not enough info yet but that cost definitely caught my interest so I'm keen to know all the details which that cost accounts for.
IndyCar engine leases are a manufacturer subsidized $1m and they do well under 35 race hours. WEC is 72 race hours.

Another way to look at it is the old LMP2 engines are cost capped at 86,778EUR and if you are doing LMP1 seriously you are probably using 10+ engines now that they have no engine usage regulations. (one for each race and another for Le Mans practice and qualifying)