View Single Post
Old 27 Mar 2024, 16:12 (Ref:4203018)   #29
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I've been living outside the UK for a while so I've rather lost touch with British rallycross but... how has it got as bad as this?

The "main" GB championship seems to be a Lydden track championship. The BTRDA is barely getting about 40 entries. Entry fees are up to around £500 a round for Minis. Wow.

This looks like a sport that seriously needs a sustainability plan with a single championship and event structure. Having so many events in a small corner of the south east is just going turn off the rest of the country.

Is there a case for phasing in a change to make the Modified 4X4 class the premier category in British rallycross so that the national championship can go everywhere? Very few UK drivers seem to have serious European campaigns and I suspect very few existing drivers can afford to step up to a full spec Supercar. Existing Supercars could eventually go into an outlaw / Retro class to be run at the few venues that allow them.

At the other end of the scale, what about engaging with the large Autograss community and having a rallycross class to cater for class 1 and 2 production cars? There is a desperate need to get more into the sport and appealing to those who already have competition cars in their garage may be one way to do it.
It's been pretty bad for a long time.

There used to be highlights on terrestrial TV and there were lots of different classes, each with a only handful of old out of date cars in them. Often all you had to do to get on the podium was still be running at the end of the day. It was almost embarrassing to watch.

I don't think it has improved significantly since then, but I am perhaps being too critical? I always thought that it needs just two main classes, plus 1 junior championship and maybe 1 retro - otherwise it is too diluted. The supercars are fun to see, but too unreliable, too expensive and too rare.