View Single Post
Old 21 Feb 2020, 13:45 (Ref:3959016)   #44
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
In 1962 Jo Schlesser raced a Brabham BT2 chassis BT2-5-62 in Formula Junior. For 1963 a 1500cc Ford engine was fitted and Schlesser competed in several non-championship Formula One races. As far as I'm aware it didn't compete in any World Championship races.

Fast forward to the present day and this BT2 has been rebuilt and appeared in the 2018 Monaco Historic GP as well as some HGPCA races with a 1500cc Ford engine. Now driven by Philippe Bonny I believe it's description is directly above your BT2, Rudolf, on Allen Brown's Old Racing Cars website.

Thanx for looking that up..
It had to be something like that..

Just for the record, I sold my BT2 a while ago, am back in a 22

Fascinating how things change in historic racing
a friend of mine used to own a Lotus 22 with a similar history to the above BT2
that particular Lotus 22 was fitted with 1500 engine and did some F1 races
HGPCA would not let him in at the time, no way

so my own experiences from 10 years ago are becoming dated and obsolete
thats what growing old is like

in all fairness
to let the BT2 in and not the Assegai is a fascinating decision

thankfully I am not involved anymore

I still marvel at the slim grids at Monaco this year though

I can understand that 3 grids of 3 litre F1 cars are bit hard to fill, especially for the earliest post 66 grid as these cars have little chances to play competitively elsewhere.
Something with a DFV in the back, that needs regular crack testing will always be expensive to run, so not for everybody

I understand the problem with the pre war GP grid as a significant portion of eligble cars sits in the Mercedes Museum and wont see the light of day again. Most Auto Unions from that period were lost in the USSR and the few that survived are too valuable to race. that means that nearly half the cars that actually raced in the 1930ies wont ever be entered. It is great to see some 37A Bugs as they made up a large part of the very early grids in 1929.
Type 51 and 59 Bugs are around, but beeing worth 7 figures apparently in collectors hands, not to be raced in anger. This is how the grids ends up getting filled with Frazer Nashes.

But having less then 30 cars from the 1,5 litre formula at Monaco is really a remarkable change

RuE