View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2009, 09:17 (Ref:2488139)   #60
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love a return of serious single seater racing to the streets of my fair city. But with all due respect to other posters in this forum, realistically there is a minute chance of Adelaide being a part of a FOTA calendar.

Let's face facts.

- The place isn't safe for modern "Grand Prix" cars in its current form. A lack of run off through the Chicane, at the bottom of Brabham Straight and around the pit entry jump to mind.

- Despite the new pit building for this year's Clipsal 500 (replacing the original one from 1985) the paddock is still tiny.

Because the Adelaide City Council and State Government couldn't come to terms, the planned multi million dollar upgrade of Victoria Park (with dual purpose Motor and Horse Racing facilities) including a realigning of the Victoria Park section of the track, hasn't gone ahead. Considering the bad blood between these two bodies, I'd be surprised if a FOTA race carrot would be sufficient for them to up back into bed with each other.

- IF a race was to happen within the next 12-18 months (less than 12 months if other posters suggestions about holding it around the Clipsal 500 time are followed) it would have to be run on the existing GP track with the old hairy pit entry and exit. This current crop of drivers would be screaming about how unsafe it is. Hell, people were complaining about it 20 year ago!

- A return to using the GP length of the street circuit would require resurfacing of the stretch from Bartels Rd, East Tce, Rundle Rd and Dequeteville Tce. That's not cheap and time is getting short for it to be cured in time for a March 2010 race.

- Therefore, in my opinion, for there to be the slightest chance of a race (assuming Formula Toys Out of the Pram takes off) happening, it would require serious co-operation between State/Federal/Council to push forward the redevelopment plans for Victoria Park. And the possible negotiation with FOTA for a October/November 2010 date. This COULD allow for the necessary would to be done in time.

- As for the idea of a night race...I like it but good luck finding the cash for that on top off the other upgrades needed.

It's flattering for Adelaide to be bantered around as a possible venue but its not going to happen. Sad but true.