View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2018, 13:12 (Ref:3846209)   #36
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Not luck - good management by the team to get Lewis into the optimum position for the weather. Rather than downplaying Lewis skill in that situation we should be bigging up the teams role in that pole position.
How does the saying go? Something like... the better prepared I am, the luckier I seem to be?

I think it all fits together. Skill, level of preparedness (that includes your team) and luck.

I think many want to frame the Q3 experience yesterday to fit their personal agendas. Hamilton was 1st, so he is great, Vettel was slower by seconds, so he can’t drive in the rain. I don’t buy it.

My personal observation is that at the very end of Q3 the track was rapidly improving as you started to see lap times dropping by multiple seconds. Those who ran last had an advantage over those who ran earlier. Some were winners and some losers due to that alone.

Things could have gone the other direction. Someone could have spun and crashed right before those quick laps creating a local yellow or even a red flag and we could be saying how brilliant some was to run early and how stupid others were to not put in a better lap earlier. Kimi was at top at one point. In an alternate scenario he could have been the hero yesterday. No matter how good you are, you can’t prevent someone else from crashing at the wrong moment.

Luck? Better at reading the weather radar tea level? Who knows? I do think there absolutely is some level of “luck” or if you don’t like that word... “unpredictability” in racing. Especially in conditions like yesterday.

Richard