View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2009, 03:53 (Ref:2404310)   #89
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think seven rounds would have been very disappointing for everyone if the economy was still functioning normally, but considering the financial crisis I'd rather A1GP be cautious and only go to venues where they are reasonably certain of a good turnout.

Which financial institution is giving $8m loans these days? Perhaps before the financial crisis, and perhaps Jones needed it for the franchise fee for the next 3-5 years. A1GP has seemed to struggle a bit in Australia so far, but surely Surfers Paradise will change that. Not sure how revenues are to be split between A1GP and V8 Supercars, but surely the crowd at such an iconic event will produce a profit on that one? Times that by however many rounds, and then add the fact that Tony Teixeira views it as a long term investment, with more sponsors hopefully coming on board later...

Chengdu was definitely a one off, but I am lead to believe that A1GP has a five year contract with the Chinese government (with them paying), so I presume it is a case of moving it back to Zhuhai.

I guess Taupo might not be back, but hopefully that would also just be a case of moving it to Hampton Downs. I cannot think of what other venues from this season will be disappearing, Zandvoort is fantastic, crowds are increasing at Sepang every year, Kyalami was Zandvoort-esque and Brands is always brimming.