View Single Post
Old 9 May 2019, 15:29 (Ref:3902800)   #2076
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I guess I can be even more glad that the WEC is returning to Interlagos. Sorry, but I think I already know which track I'm going to prefer seeing racing at.

As to comments about the size of the F1 calendar, the first time there were 12 Grands Prix in the championship was 1968. The first time there were 17, which required special dispensation for some time, was 1977.

The schedule has been substantial for quite a while, even more so if non-championship races, or the British F1 series are included. That said, my personal sense is that a nice round 20 is perhaps a good maximum.

Even within Europe, the countries we think of as fixtures now haven't always been, so this moving around, going from Spain to the Netherlands for instance, doesn't seem totally outlandish. I mean, Spain and Hungary weren't regulars until 1986, and one of the main staples outside Europe, Japan, wasn't on every year until 1987. Also Austria, like the US, has come and gone multiple times.

Right now, I just hope Hanoi doesn't turn out too much like Valencia in terms of the actual racing.
Spain was a regular fixture, from 1967 - 1981, though '67 and '80 were non-championship races.

Back then the FIA required a demonstration race, before Grand Prix status could be awarded, as with 1967 race. 1980 was declared illegal by FISA, the then governing body, as Alfa-Romeo, Ferrari and Renault didn't compete. This was during the FISA-FOCA war. The race returned in 1986.