View Single Post
Old 4 Feb 2024, 22:23 (Ref:4195094)   #22
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I think Ratel has fair reason to feel miffed, he was the man largely responsible for the mass expansion of GT3 in its early days, Blancpain was immense in ts heyday, then DTM and WEC come along and spread the field much thinner.

I think in all honesty GT2 is Ratels way forward, less expensive cars maybe, slightly slower, I think he has to go that way as anyone worth their salt is likely to eventually go WEC
Ratel is nothing if not forward-looking. He has a history of being ahead of the curve, mostly for the betterment of his series and sportscars in general. I agree that he is already well into positioning GT2 as SRO's fallback/exclusive series. He's never been comfortable with too much factory involvement, which other series have been able to take advantage of to entice semi-factory entrants away.

Even then, there are only so many teams that can leave - it's not as if WEC/DTM can easily and rapidly expand their current grids - and the absolute hegemony of GT3 means that there are a large number of strong teams involved, even at the highest level. SRO may no longer monopolise GT3, but they are still one of, if not (still) the most relevant organiser, both in terms of regulations and events.