View Single Post
Old 9 Sep 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3301047)   #69
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I'm not surprised. Though not the root cause of the current state of IndyCar, people do think it's a contributing factor.

I went to both Rockingham 500s in 2001 and 2002; awesome stuff. Those Reynards and Lolas were in a league of their own.

IndyCar should look at Rockingham as a potential race in Europe.
I'm both naïve and British, which probably explains my surprise at the debate. As far as I'm concerned, IndyCar is as interesting now as it ever has been since I first started watching US open wheel racing since the first Rockingham race. We're obviously nowhere near CART levels but it's got me interested far more than the IRL ever did.

So what is it I'm enjoying that everyone else isn't? My guess is that the mis-management of open wheel racing and its decline combined with the rise and rise of NASCAR has meant that whatever IndyCar does, it's perceived as inadequate. Is that accurate?

As for Rockingham, I can't really see the teams being persuaded to do it. Besides that, Northamptonshire is an exceedingly short-sighted county that barely sees the benefit of the Grand Prix so I'm not holding my breath for anyone with the vision to make it happen coming along any time soon.