Thread: Race Spa - 1955
View Single Post
Old 25 Aug 2013, 11:47 (Ref:3293707)   #3
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Very apposite. You've been over on TNF , if I'm not mistaken.
A few reflections...

The informality of it all - the dog wandering about, the spectators helping to push Castelotti's Lancia back to the pits whilst the race goes on, the cafe patrons watching from behind the mighty strength of a straw bale.

Castelotti passing the pits during a very wet practice, about 1 metre from the mechanics.

The water-filled ditch on the outside of La Carriere - death in waiting if you slide too wide.

Farina yet again being referred to as a doctor - he had a doctorate in engineering I think, although I know he liked the title. (Did you see him break into a smile on the pit counter before the race? That's a first !)

My memory isn't what it was - has Eau Rouge been "straightened" in modern times?

Paul Frere being so smooth and fast for a "part-time" driver.

Wonderful times. Five years later, and Bristow and Stacey were killed, and Moss and Taylor badly injured, all at the same meeting. And six years after that, Jackie Stewart had a meeting with fate, and things were never the same again.