View Single Post
Old 12 Mar 2017, 06:24 (Ref:3718123)   #42
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
The point I was more trying to make originally that seems to be lost is how can a $10million budget be justified for this series, especially when manufacturers can't own the teams competing.

How have the required budgets been allowed swell to a level where you need $10million to enter a series that races only in Australia and a one-off in New Zealand?
Curious where your $10mill figure comes from but regardless any manufacturer will weigh it up. Toyota have the largest advertising spend of any car manufacturer here and last I heard it was about $65mill per year - on advertising alone, plus marketing, plus sponsorship etc.

If the $10mill you're talking about is spread over a few years, smaller volume manufacturers could see it as worth doing as part of their overall marketing spend. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The story goes that Nissan are still paying at least $4m a season to NisMoAu to run their Altima program, plus activation plus the GT-R program plus whatever the custom tooling & build of cylinder heads cost plus deveeloping 3 separate aero kits etc..

$10m might be underselling it...
For a 4 car program, so if a 2 car team on those figures it would be $2mill per year IF financed in the same way as Nissan's program. So it sounds like you think the $10mill is spread over a number of years GTR?

I wouldn't be surprised on the Nissan project - 4 cars, several major changes of direction on engine, several aero iterations - it has not been a straightforward program compared to say, Volvo.