Thread: WEC WEC 2019/20 season
View Single Post
Old 29 May 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3906797)   #276
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not too thrilled by the lack of variety in LMP2 and LMP3 but there's no denying the classes are thriving. Full ELMS grids, over-subscribed LMP2 in WEC by all accounts, ALMS doing well, support LMP3 series healthy.

Privateer LMP1 also managed to deliver 6 cars (now 5) at very short notice and there may be more in 19-20. GT3 continues to boom. DPI has shown a cost-effective way for manufacturers to badge good-looking and good-sounding prototypes.

The only stuff struggling is where manufacturer, factory entries are sought, ie LMP1-H and GTE. By decoupling from FIA (and thus from the requirement to have factory teams and to run in places like Bahrain) the ACO can hopefully concentrate on a thriving privateer/customer scene. Their next brave step needs to be to open up to GT3, IMO.

I would personally be quite happy to watch a Le Mans consisting of privateer LMP1s, DPIs, customer LMP2s and a mix of factory-backed and customer GT3s. More variety, more sustainable, more interesting.