Old 27 Jan 2009, 21:18 (Ref:2380968)   #1129
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dikko
I really can't agree with the synicism I read. OK it is a monopoly by SkyFord to get steel cranks identified but isn't this a good way to preserve the 'one-ness' that's FF? So many Formulae have gone down the pan by modifications taking them through the £roof (down, then up, bit of a mix of mets..) all in an £uncontrolled way. OK, there are business interests involved here - anyone can see that - but there is also a great traditional interest being properly kept under control. Standard engines lead to even racing. Good even racing that's been going 40 years and thanks to those movers and shakers who have understood our concerns (my last crank blow-up even took part of the gearbox with it) have got together and are making sure it will carry on for a fair few more. It might sound I'm creeping but I ain't, I say thanks guys.

Your right.....to a point.

But when you say the movers and shakers have understood our concerns. It's a pity they have took so long to make a decision. This issue first appeared NEARLY 5 YEARS AGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hardy pro-active is it?

Your right, good Formula has maintained the changes, but these are changes to help keep a long standing formula.....well.............long standing. These engines are over 40 years old now. What's wrong with a few tweeks here and there to keep the longevity. The arguement is, why does it have to be marked by the powers that be? Surely a receipt of purchase will suffice. It's not like anyone is going to spend that sort of money and not admit to it.

On the flywheel subject, as far as i was aware, there is no huge performance gain, other than spinning the engine up faster and making the overall weight of the car lighter. But on that, if everyone can have the flywheel lightened, then it does away with cheating by lightened flywheel. Am I right in saying that the Kent engine in the early XR" had a lightened flywheel? If so, rather than draft a raft (poetry corner ;o)) of rule changes for it. Use the XR2 spec flywheel. Now would be a good time to implement this before all the engines go back in after having their crank changed...............