View Single Post
Old 12 Feb 2014, 10:46 (Ref:3367287)   #146
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Right. Like the endplate wing extensions? Or like the teeth shaped front diveplanes? Those aren't items youd like to keep secret? I think youre being a bit pessimistic, tbh. I said a solution they dont want other teams to see, not a "secret weapon". You see about Porsche running camo on their car to hide its lines. The good thing about Toyota is they aren't extravagant or braggarts. Testing things in secret is something more than just they do. Matter of fact, they even mentioned the reasons on their european blog for the secretism- http://blog.toyota.eu/2014/01/30/int...-ts040-hybrid/
I am not pessimistic, just realistic.

Besides, with the emphasis in 2014 shifting more towards the development of an efficient engine + ERS package, I sincerely doubt that being secretive about the exterior design of the TS040 will have much impact. Do you honestly believe that Porsche and Audi are waiting to see Toyota's design to immediately try to copy it ? It's too late for that.

Furthermore, Porsche and Audi have been "showcasing" their initial interpretations of the new rules, but we have yet to have a full picture and understanding of what sits underneath the skin. You can be "secretive" even by showing a few things to the public. In any event, both Porsche and Audi have yet to show their final iterations of the new LMP1 contenders.

IMHO, Toyota have absolutely nothing to gain by being overly secretive, especially at such a late stage of the development.