View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2003, 15:24 (Ref:619285)   #2
Chui
Rookie

Chui should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I live in the 'States and I have plenty of issues with our domestic automobile products and I've worked for two of the Big Three and have been employed with one for ten years now. But intercity driving in NY, Chicago, L.A., Houston, Boston, Atlanta, San Francisco and the like do not smile on European cars. The hours of relentless traffic destroys the rationale for purchasing a fine BMW.

However, there is no viable transportation method for the average US family outside of station wagons [there aren't really any] and SUVs. How would you transport your wife and three kids? Not in a medium-sized sedan you wouldn't. The vehicle would be packed tightly and would not be an ideal method of human transport.

While I feel that many SUV pilots inadvertently or purposely pose a mild risk on public roads if I were to be married with "three point blank" kids I, too, would own one. Or maybe a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna.

As it stands they are usually rolling chicanes, but in the Detroit Metro Area [where we have some of the nation's fastest moving freeway traffic] they travel far faster than their interminably oversteering chassis can accomodate - not to mention brakes that may not bleed off enough speed to avoid that small compact sedan that had to apply his brakes really hard fifty meters up the road. Just last night in my Integra Type R I'm cruising ay 85 mph when a Cadillac Escalade comes flying up behind. I put on my indicator and evacuate the left lane. He continues up the freeway at was approximately 95 mph...
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." ~ John Steinbeck