View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2003, 16:15 (Ref:736864)   #10
vwpilot
Racer

vwpilot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The lag is almost non existent on dslrs, even the slow ones. IN using dslrs, i have found the only time i have significant lag is if the camera goes to sleep, then i try to quickly take a shot.

To get around this if i think somthing is coming up to shoot, i always give the shutter a quick tap to wake up the camera, then its basically instantaneous.

At least thats how it works with my Nikon. If you look at the Nikon lines, shutter response is in the milliseconds and right in line with film cameras. The new D2h is supposed to have the shortest response time of any camera.

The times i run into this the most is when i am using manual focus, because i will folllow the subject and hit the shutter and it takes a second for it to wake up. When using AF its not as big a deal because I am hitting the shutter to lock on focus, so when I hit the shutter to shoot the cameara just responds as its already awake. BUt when using manual I sometimes forget to wake it up and get the little bit of lag. It is also pretty much documented that the Nikon cameras wake up much faster than the Canons. Its possible your shutter lag is really the camera just waking up.