View Single Post
Old 13 Aug 2018, 12:22 (Ref:3843353)   #15
rwstokes
Rookie

rwstokes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Some interesting and valid comments above. Since I gave up competing and race organising (in NZ), I am now focussed on taking photographs in NZ and obviously, UK.

I dismissed planning on a visit to the UK to centre on Silverstone or Donington, as neither track is amateur photographer friendly, no matter how good the entry. I used to spectate at the Mallory hairpin in the days when I didn't even have access to a telephoto lens but even there, you can't walk right around. Cadwell I love, but it doesn't have a major event and support for some historics has not been that good, with cars being preserved for Goodwood.

Question #1 - can you walk right around the track?
Question #2 - if you can, are you close enough to take a decent photograph with a maximum of a 300mm lens?
Question #3 - If the answer is yes to the above, is your view restricted by concrete blocks and wire fencing?

If the answer is no to any of the above, then quite frankly, no one in their right mind is going to travel from the opposite side of the world.

Goodwood still scores well on the photographic front and overall, the range of cars appeals, but I accept that seeing the same cars and even the same races means it wouldn't be an annual trek, even if I could afford it.

My last visit in 2016, the two races for Austin A30/A35's wasn't exactly a photographic highlight, hence the keenness for the Sears Trophy and St Mary's Trophy races with a variety of saloons.

Friday is obviously the best day to walk right around the track and this time, I am determined to see the Kinrara and Sussex Trophy races, but I may need the nana naps...
Goodwood is one of the best tracks in the UK for public photography. There are no high fences, its all waist height, and you can indeed do a whole lap around the outside of the track.
I have a 100-400 lens, but almost all these were shot from public areas, bar the few from the chicane which were shot with a press badge. The main paddock is also entry with a badge, rather than fully open, but generally access is really good.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rwsmot...57658445696640