Thread: Chevron B29
View Single Post
Old 13 Apr 2006, 19:26 (Ref:1580640)   #89
john freeth
Rookie

john freeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Barry
Len Wimhurst built a FF1600 in 1976 for Kees van der Grint to drive called the Wimhurst LP1 (LP = Len And Paul Wimhurst). I raced this car throughout 1979 and entered it for Paul Sleeman a couple of times in 1980. Subsequently sold to my dentist who took it to Ireland.

Len then built a FF2000 for Damien Magee and Paul Wimhurst called the Wimhurst PLP4 (PLP = Pat [Capon], Len and Paul). I raced this car for the first time at Boxing Day Brands 1979 and surprisingly managed to win the Formula Libre race, the last race of the decade! I raced it in 1980 in the national Motorcraft championship, without much success, and at Lydden where it was more succesful with a couple of wins. Len, my father, brother and myself then converted the car to Formula Talbot spec (on the promise of plenty of sponsorship money which surprisingly failed to materialise!) and used it throughout 1981 and 1982 before converting it back to FF2000 and selling it to Steve Holland for the Lydden series in 1983. I beleive the car was subsequentlt raced by Mike Mackonachie (?spelling) and was also for sale by Matthew Mortlock. I do not know it's current whereabouts but would be pleased if anyone does know!
Hi
It may be that I have PLP4. I bought it a couple of years ago as an engineless project (said to be a Wimhurst FF2000) from Ken Thoroughood at Universal Racing Services. Haven't started the restoration yet - obviously would love to nail the identity so any help would be really appreciated. Haven't seen any chassis numbers yet but then have not looked that hard. Possible identifier is the rear wheels - redrilled Minilite mags - doubtful these are what it started life with. Pictures to follow if it's allowed? - I'm a 10 Tenths virgin