View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2018, 01:27 (Ref:3832767)   #17
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Practically any circuit can be the scene of a large crash; NASCAR has had "big ones" at every track except Martinsville, and that includes Watkins Glen and Sonoma.

If these cars can't pass at Hungaroring or Zandvoort, or at least not to the level of your satisfaction, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm at least curious to see what the Wuhan street circuit looks like, but I'm not expecting much. I'd also like to see how a race goes at Ningbo, not just the cars parading around under yellow in the rain. In the end though, I'm probably not too interested in either one after getting a proper taste just to see. I don't much care for this second iteration of the Marrakech circuit.

I'm good with the Nordschleife and reasonable with Zandvoort. If they use the full course at Suzuka, I wouldn't mind seeing how that goes. A significant issue is the power cut in the cars, going from TC1 to TCR, which means they just can't pull the big straights at most all the big-name tracks. This also means, when they slipstream and then pull out to pass, they hit a brick wall, because they've run out of steam.

So yeah, the Nordschleife, Vila Real, and Macau are easily the three venues I most look forward to on the calendar. Tight confines are fine, so long as you show respect and some measure of discretion. If you don't, not even the wide-open spaces of a Cleveland or Riverside will be enough to save you from yourself.

If I were offering potential alternative venues:
Dijon, France
Sachsenring, Germany
Zolder, Belgium
Brands Hatch, Great Britain
Inje, South Korea
Sugo, Japan
Rosario or El Zonda, Argentina

Estoril has been remade for MotoGP since its F1 days. Several corners have been tightened to where you're unlikely to get two-wide, and like Algarve, the long main straight, which should be a boon, will leave the TCR machines breathless, unable to pull out and actually pass at the end at terminal velocity. Furthermore, a lot of those big-name tracks just aren't "filled up" by a series like this. The track just feels "too big" for the cars, or the cars seem "too small" for the track.

Back when they were alternating between Porto and Portimao, I took a look, but didn't get much sense of anything special from the WTCC at Algarve; the cars just seemed out of place, out of their element. For this series, Vila Real is simply far more enticing. And I could say the same in that I'd much rather see them at Macau than Shanghai, Tianma, Goldenport, Chengdu, Guangdong, or Ordos.

All that said, I'm fine keeping the WTCR to just Vila Real and Macau in terms of the temporary circuits. Pau can remain as F3's equivalent in Europe.