View Single Post
Old 27 Jun 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1341528)   #154
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As I've said before on this thread I have met some lovely girls when I was a startline marshal (still meet them as a pit marshal in fact) and although I can't quite see how they are essential to the sport I would NEVER be rude to them. In fact, I think I helped one once - she'd never done the job before, never been to a race meeting in fact - she was unfortunate enough to be at Donington in 1993 with Gerhard Berger's grid board. Gerhard, bless him, had this lovely trick of killing his engine and coasting on to his grid spot with utmost precision - he could get his front wing just touching the heel of his grid girl without her even noticing. Scared this one particular girl to death - she turned very pale under all her makeup but I made sure she stayed put!

Sometimes I feel sorry for the grid girls, especially if they've never been to a race meeting before and don't know what to expect.