View Single Post
Old 31 Mar 2000, 18:21 (Ref:15661)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much enjoyed Alain Prost's first volume of his autobiography (I read it in French) called "Life in the Fast Lane" as I remember. He writes some very funny stuff about his early life, such as the fact that his Grandmother told him if he wanted to mess about with cars, he should buy a garage; and that even after he was a champion in a couple of lower formulae, his mother would not let him drive when she was in the car! He also said that when he went in for gas once on the way home from a race, the attendant said something rude about Alain Prost, thinking he (Prost) was the other guy; and a cop who pulled him over for speeding asked him, "Who'd you think you are, Alain Prost?"

I've recently read Mansell's book and found it tedious for the most part ... the man does spend a lot of time in search for someone to blame, and if I were his wife I'd have chloroformed him. But yes, it is an interesting book.

As for bios, the one I've liked best of all is Gerry Donaldson's bio of Gilles, followed closely by his bio of James Hunt. He is insightful and very clear-eyed in describing them both, "warts and all" without the simpering most biographers of Senna seem to descend to, or any intent to trash them - just telling us who they were.