View Single Post
Old 6 Jul 2018, 14:06 (Ref:3834999)   #38
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
There is technology to help drivers when their attention is dropping off, day or night, with movements in head position and eyeline (such as to look down at a ringing phone or similar..) and alarms (noise and vibration) in both the cabin and the fleet management group. Theory is the driver ‘re-awakens’ and can assess the need for a stop, or to continue. Either way, the event can show up as a coaching-required incident for later review/discussion

I know drivers who have operated at night for many years. They believed their bodies and physical selves had accustomed themselves to the inversion of day to night, yet the very same blokes (and a blokette) failed the technology above.

The human body cannot generally operate at night every day forever...
I was one of those drivers who then moved to management and any driver who thinks he is on top of his game after midnight is fooling himself. No amount of technology will keep anyone awake once the brain decides to shut down. The idea of long distance driving being glamorous is pure crap to put it bluntly. I could write a thesis on this so I'll stop here.