Thread: 2020 Rallying
View Single Post
Old 6 Aug 2020, 10:51 (Ref:3993300)   #64
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
And there is less tarmac than ever; a proper WRC should have a more even split of gravel/tarmac. For some reason the FiA/ Promoter don't like tarmac.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Maybe because they think tarmac belongs in circuit racing
I'm not sure how much there is "anti-tarmac" bias, but I do wonder if the current generation of cars is too quick for tarmac events? With the downforce they're generating the speed they can carry on tarmac is very impressive -- however, the flipside of that is that when a driver gets it wrong it goes wrong in a big way. Maybe more gravel events is a way of reducing the risk?

Having said that I feel that the WRC should contain as wide a variety of surfaces as possible - ice, snow, tarmac, gravel - and multiple surfaces on a single event is fine too. Even multiple surfaces on a single stage - that way the car setup is a compromise so the driver and team have to get the setup bias correct and the car isn't totally dialled in for any one surface.