View Single Post
Old 24 Sep 2018, 10:34 (Ref:3852363)   #42
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tend to agree with what's been said already: seat time and commitment are key factors. I imagine the average pro gets more track time in a week than many of us see in a year. Access to professionally built & set-up cars must also make a big difference.

For commitment, I think you can read, at least in part, "doesn't have to fix the car or pay for it when he bends it"! How many of us could go faster if we had no regard for the car? By that, I don't mean abusing the car, as that doesn't necessarily equal quicker times, but simply not having to worry about using those extra few revs when needed, or committing to a corner 100%, knowing that if it goes wrong and you stick it in the wall, it's not your problem (at least, as far as fixing the car is concerned). How many of us would be quicker if we could afford (or justify) new brakes & tyres for every race? What if we could all have a day's testing at the venue immediately prior to racing there? With a team of guys who do it for a living ready to make adjustments to the car to set it up just as we wished it to be? Most of us club racers don't have access to any of this. I can only speak for myself, but I do everything on my cars myself with no external input from anyone who you would consider as a professional in the motorsport industry. Simply put, I have to, as it's the only way I can afford to go racing.

I don't know what sort or arrangements are made between owners of cars driven by pros at places like Goodwood and the drivers themselves. But I'd be surprised if the drivers sign any kind of formal agreement that they'll pay for any damage inflicted whilst they're driving. That's not to say that many of them wouldn't offer to pay if they bent it, but are they obliged to? I guess the really valuable stuff is insured?

I started tarmac rallying in '93 at the ripe old age of 30, and began circuit racing 10 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if all of my seat time in those last 25 years added up to around the same as a typical pro driver does in a year or two.

Had I been able to afford to start before I was 20 and race or rally regularly, would I have been quick enough to match the pros? Who knows? But I do know that I'd certainly be a lot quicker than I am now!