View Single Post
Old 11 Apr 2018, 10:09 (Ref:3814834)   #4
Terrible-Tones
Veteran

Wales
Thrapston - Northants
Terrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTerrible-Tones should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZiE23 View Post
I have done 3 days flagging but its this part of the assessment which i think i am currently nervous to upgrade. I enjoyed flagging but ultimately think for now at least incident is where i would like to stay.
Well, upgrading is all about whether you feel confident enough or not.

However, my guess is that from the rest of your post you are probably worrying about nothing, to be fair. That you are worrying is great though, because it shows both a passion, and motivation to do things to the best of your ability and in the right way.

I can see that, apparently, you have more than enough attendance sigs and also more flag days than needed. In your case where you have leant towards "Incident" you need 15 attendance - 2 of which must be flag. You have 3 - excellent, good show!

The other thing to check is that you have the relevant training modules signed (you cannot upgrade without these). These are, Fire Theory, Fire Practical, Basic Skills and Flag.

You are correct in that you will need two assessments, one flag and one incident. These will need to be on separate days. It does not matter which way around they are. However, you MUST complete all the required attendance signatures, and all the required training modules, before you do the assessment days.

Lets just get some perspective. There is an actual grade of "Flag Marshal". To get there you have to go through Experienced Track and it rightly sits at the same level as I/O.

Flagging can be a "dark art". Blues particularly, and in many ways it is subjective. It can take many years to be a top notch blue flagger. I am an I/O, and honestly, my blue flagging is probably about as useful as a chocolate cookie brake pad!

What is expected at your upgrade level is to show that you can step up to a flag post, provide decent safety cover (yellows) to the Incident crew, and understand the basic blue book rules like green flag laps, flag sectors, Safety Car, Code 60, rules about blue flags, and the like. The MSA do not expect you to become an ace blue flag marshal overnight. So as long as you know the rules/flags, and can use the flags as appropriate, then you will be fine.

Stop worrying..... -

I have noticed my post crossed with Deley, listen to him, has far greater flag experience than I.

Good luck....

Last edited by Terrible-Tones; 11 Apr 2018 at 10:36. Reason: deley bloody well posting first.....grrrr LOL