View Single Post
Old 9 May 2019, 22:17 (Ref:3902874)   #206
BobHWS
Veteran

United States
Winston-Salem, NC
BobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBobHWS should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Longtime Journal de Montréal columnist Réjean Tremblay reports that Montreal race promoter François Dumontier is not concerned about the rush to complete the new paddock. Here is my translation of his column:

François Dumontier reste zen
RÉJEAN TREMBLAY
Jeudi, 9 mai 2019

I put myself François Dumontier's shoes yesterday morning. Two pages of words and photos showing many workers working feverishly to complete the construction of the new paddocks of the Circuit Gilles-Villeneuve.

And the headline asked if the new paddocks costing almost $ 100 million [CDN] would be ready in time. It was like getting hit by a two by four before going to the gym for his daily workout.

Legitimate questions were raised yesterday morning. Radio, TV, news agencies, everyone wondered if the official press conference scheduled for next Wednesday would take place.

We are talking about Minister Caroline Proulx and Prince Consort Jonathan Guay, the federal minister Justin [PM Trudeau} will be sending while waiting for the election, Mayor Valérie Plante who will smile and also the most important visitor, Chase Carey, the great boss of the Formula 1 with Liberty Media.

Press conference

It would be a shame to see holes in the ceiling, poorly painted walls and clogged windows.

It's understandable if François Dumontier got really annoyed while reading the Journal. He won't say anything about his mood at breakfast. But for the rest, everything's fine.

"All I have to say is that I am zen. I'm not worried, not at all. Do you think I would have invited all the speakers and politicians involved for an official press conference in the paddocks if I had not received full and complete assurance that everything would be ready?" said Mr. Dumontier.

However, he added: "Before sending the invitations, I met with the Geyser Group's top executives, the general contractor and the city managers who are responsible for the project," says Dumontier. And all gave me the guarantee that it would be ready," said the promoter.

Expensive but beautiful

The Journal de Montréal noted that the new paddocks were to be delivered on April 30th. Though it was always assumed that the deadline would not be met, which will not surprise anyone.

We also know that the bill has tripled and that taxpayers will pay more than 70 million [CDN] for the facilities.

One of the good things about publishing these pictures by photographer Chantal Poirier in yesterday's edition was to introduce fans and others to the size and beauty of the paddocks. Montreal will have no cuase to envy the other big cities of the world. After all, it had become unthinkable to continue hosting Formula 1 teams in tents that were held together with spit and fishing line.

In addition, the contract between the developer and the City will allow the holding of various events in the new premises. The view is beautiful and the beauty of Montreal seen from the paddocks will be breathtaking. It's expensive, but if it's done right, the game will be worth the cost.

Radio silence of the mayor

What is unfortunate is that [Mayor] Valérie Plante or another city official have all refused to grant interviews on the issue. At least one radio station has tried to get an interview to explain to sports listeners what is going on with this issue. Nay, no, no way! were the answers.

It is Quebec taxpayers paying one third and Montrealers paying the bill. They deserve respect.

But when we see how Mayor Plante behaved awkwardly at the recent Strategic Forum organized by the Montreal Chamber of Commerce, we can understand why she would be afraid of Gilbert Delorme [a famous hockey player].

Nevertheless I ask myself this question. Mayor Jean Drapeau and the City decided to dig and build a metro that would have cost billions in 2019. The decision was made in 1962, and we dug in the rock under Montreal, we built the Notre-Dame island [site of the race] and St. Helena Island with the rock and the dirt from the holes and tunnels, and the subway stations were opened only four years later.

How in the hell did we do that?

Last edited by BobHWS; 9 May 2019 at 22:23.