Old 27 Dec 2006, 23:22 (Ref:1800150)   #8
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
A driver can outperform his car (as it is so often put!) now as he could in years past. Schumacher in the 2005 Ferrari for instance, amongst others.

I'm not sure Senna "outperformed" his car much more than todays greats. It is just that we look back fondly on distant memories with a hint of rose tint.

As regards the future, it should be more towards drivers than cars than it is now certainly. The removal of driver aids would do the trick! But the sport must, of course retain some technology. I personally could not care less whether the sport is a technology leader or not, but there are important and powerful folk who do care and so it shall remain. How much this technology impedes driver skill, we shall see.
the 84 toleman at monaco, and putting that 94 williams on pole wasnt the cars doing either .

93 was a struggle, bad car but still took the challenge to prost hill and schumacher.

f1 has created most technolgy on roads cars we drive now, this is good but i dont think its good for racing, its good that f1 invents seomthing and then has it banned

when racing i like to see the driver driving the car, not a computer with some arms pointing it in the right direction