View Single Post
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:14 (Ref:2767484)   #11
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
So just like me, you don't have any clue. The FACT is that Proton/Lotus is willing to invest in motorsport around the world to build their brand image. That plan includes IndyCar and has from jump. They've already bought into ART GP, and they already have plans for LeMans, and GT4. I don't KNOW, but there isn't a single reason to be skeptical. Unless you get off by any bad news relating to IndyCar.
From what jump? I don't call some engineering support a massive sponsorship. KK is deal maker and knows how to B2B no doubt, but lets call it for what it is.

Of course Lotus should invest in motorsport. I think it's almost a necessity. But for a company like Lotus where do you think the money is for them? Selling GT4 and GT3 cars and other sportscars or spending millions on an indycar program? How many cars did Lotus sell last year in the USA? About 700 cars. If an indycar sponsorship for a car went for full rack rate of lets say $4 million dollars, that is a cost of $5700 a car.

Examine how Porsche does business. Their racing programs make money. They float some pro drivers and tech support out there and some marketing and PR help when need be. But they sell tons of cars and especially parts and they get visibility in most of the important markets out there.