View Single Post
Old 10 May 2001, 12:00 (Ref:90979)   #4
yelwoci
Racer

United Kingdom
London
yelwoci should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy,
I 'raced' at Lydden for the first time last year in my RX7 with CSCC.

Some key points:
Facilties are very basic
The circuit is in a natural bowl and has little air flow. So on hot days it really kills the brakes, so make sure the pads are well bedded in, the fluid is new, and you have ducting if needed.

The circuit is quite challenging.
Paddock hill bend is very fast but don't allow the car to drift out wide otherwise you'll spin on the exit....I did!

At the end of the Cantebury straight is a complex righthander. You enter into a dip that complicates the braking and then the corner is up hill with a crest about the apex. This can cause a violent twitch as it lifts the wheels. Once past this let the car go, classic 4-wheel drift to exit.

Blast down Dover slope to the left hander at Devil's Elbow. Its a good place to overtake but don't go out to right further than middle of track as you approach the corner. Lost of marbles and you'll end up in the tyre wall...I DID!.

Blast up the hill, classic hairpin, though 'cos of hill you go in quicker, watch the exit, blast back down the hill, remember to brake before Paddock! (But as I said at start it is faster than it initially looks).

It could be an interesting circuit, but it's too small, high risk of damage and hours from anywhere but Dover.
In the sun it kills the car, but is very pleasant for spectators and in the paddcok.
In the wet, its miserable and there's a very high risk of damage.

Regards
Ian Cowley
Pre-83 Grp-1 RX-7