View Single Post
Old 11 Feb 2020, 08:53 (Ref:3956915)   #17
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
As far as I know the owners of Silverstone are not the promoters of the Silverstone Classic. I think I am right in thinking that the promoter then sells on race slots to other organisations (and possibly on again) and each time these 'layers' make a fat profit without actually adding to the spectacle.

Unfortunately Max you've fallen in to the trap of taking an extreme point of view to make your point. Why should objection to greatly increasing the price of an article (the Classic/Revival) have to be seen as wanting charity. Is there no such thing as a middle road?

Maybe some lefties don't like profits, but I think that's the minority and certainly not many in motor racing circles. I am a capitalist by nature and training and I understand the economics of profits paying for research, development, employment etc. and the taxes levied on these profits goes towards all the services we demand such as health, roads, libraries, government, etc. Some may see the Classic as profiteering rather than profit making.
I'm sure Silverstone takes a healthy whack in track rental even if it isn't the ultimate promoter!

And it's not only lefties that despise profit, you'd be amazed at the number of staunch right wingers who, for instance, think I should be doing my job "for the good of the sport" instead of trying to eke a living from it.

I like the Classic. I exhibited there until the cost/benefit ratio went the wrong way for my business and then I stopped. It works for other people though and they continue to exhibit and entertain. Yes it may be expensive but it really works as a package and I don't think of it as profiteering.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk