View Single Post
Old 5 Feb 2021, 10:17 (Ref:4033576)   #37
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
How do you come from abroad with prior experience?
Perhaps Bathurst outings? Some testing? Or just early career in Oz in open-wheel racing which gives you at least track knowledge?

I mean, Ash, apart from a test for WAU (correct me if I'm wrong) has no knowledge of Supercars, Australian circuits and so on.
And let's be honest, even this is very often not enough. We remember Richie Stanaway, he was quite good in GTs overseas, had good outings in endurance races (a victory with Cam Waters), started his career down under and came to Supercars full-time and failed miserably.

The point I'm trying to make is that, at least typically, to succeed in Supercars, especially nowadays, the best route is to get some experience in Super2 and then 'graduate' to the main series. A bit like NASCAR. Very few drivers who have no 'typical route' to NASCAR Cup Series succeed in the main game. And it seems a bit the same in Supercars.

That's my impression at least, I haven't studied careers of all drivers who've recently joined Supercars but have the feeling most of them were somewhere there in Australian and Supercars motorsport world.