Thread: Team McLaren's strategy
View Single Post
Old 27 Sep 2010, 14:42 (Ref:2765544)   #13
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Button and Hamilton never had the gap to allow them to come out in front of Webber. Correct me if I'm wrong, but apart from pitting one of them at the same time as Webber, there was nothing they could have done with their stratagy to finish any higher.
From my recollection that's not the case. Webber was behind Button and Hamilton when he pitted. When he came out on the hard tyres a) they didn't work very well and b) he had a load of slow traffic to get through and so Button and Hamilton were lapping faster than him by at least 1-2 second a lap as they were in the 1min 51s to 1min 52s bracket and Webber was 1min 53s to 1min 54s bracket - and more on occassion begind the traffic. So until they were lapping at the same or slower speed they were actually building a margin. I wish I could find the lap charts as this is from memory - anybody know where to find them? - but for a one critcal period of time they both had the gap and had just begun to lap slower than Webber (Button first 'cos he was slower than Hammy's pace). That is when they should have pitted, but didn't.