View Single Post
Old 17 Dec 2013, 18:09 (Ref:3345099)   #504
jbyron22
Rookie

United States
THOUSAND OAKS CALIFORNIA
jbyron22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
77 ST 1 RESTORATION DOCUMENTATION

After a re-fresh review of all the posts on this site, It appears that a number of 73-74 "S" cars and possibly spare "tubs" have been converted (up-rated) and represented in race groups as 75 / 76 "S". (ALLROY as an example)

My research to date and a detailed comparison of specific parts indicate there are differences between the 73/74 and 75/76 cars besides the obvious body work.

Forward toe box is the easiest to spot. 73 /74 cars used a "bow-tie" panel 0.25 thick - aluminum and mounted the shock pick-up to a 1.0 X 1.0 tube which ran between the front uprights and was mounted under the foot well upper panel. Early 75 cars - possibly #1-3 could have used the same "bow-tie" as a carry over from spares at the factory.

Later 75 cars 4-5 possibly and all 76 cars used a rectangular forward toe box panel and the cross car support which mounted the shocks is located on top of the foot well panel.

Roll bar is another difference in forward mounting struts on the 73/74's and fire activation was added on the 75/76 to incorporate a cable.

I understand the wheel base could be longer on the 75/76 chassis as well but this is somewhat adjustable for track set-up. Photos of some 73/74 with the 75/76 body work reflect a considerable gap to the rear wheel opening of the tire and on the E.B. Lunken body work the forward area of the rear wheel well opening had been cut and spliced by about an inch for tire clearance.

Tracing the history of these cars through formal race entries and hill-climb results lends credence to their lineage and is important. However of the actual number of "S" cars that were produced the only meaningful data which can exist is the documented and verifiable present ownership proven by the MARCH factory official "tag" and other chassis markings.

I would propose a MARCH registry where each owner can submit photos of their tags, log book race entries etc and be recorded as the owner of record.

Being the current owner of 77 ST 1 I would not wish to have another car being represented as the same.

Any thoughts to the other guests on the site ??