View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2020, 07:56 (Ref:4001615)   #2612
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
When I was born (1937) my father had the Burrell Arms Garage in the mews attached to the pub of the same name right opposite the Shoreham railway station.
He ran the local taxis and airport "limousine service" from there as well.
Was a very good business servicing the KLM flights into Shoreham connecting to the Brighton-London express and looking after the theatre people who were living in the then fashionable bungalows at Shoreham beach. The army commandeered the place after Dunkirk and the lease agreement expired so it wasn't available after the war. Dad spent the rest of the war fixing Black Lysanders wherever they got bent around the UK.

Duncan Hamilton also gets a mention in another post. He was a frequent visitor to our place in Felpham later in the war when he was in the Fleet Air Arm. Our place became a "Wrenery" for some of the HMS Peregrine photo school and attracted some very interesting characters.

Showing my age!
Wow. The Burrels Hotel/pub was very run down down, and got redeveloped ( flats above) and is now an pizza place. The Garage is still there, now called Perkins & Robins, I know Matt the owner, he MOT's our cars, the taxi rank is still there as well. I wouldn't say the redevelopment has improved the aesthetic.
Attached Thumbnails
Perkins robins.jpg   burrels hotel.jpeg